Care giving like a boss: A shout out to Akilah and Zak's grandparents


Hanging with Gabby at Stafford Spring's Farm Day.

Akilah and Zak adore their grandparents. Their eyes light up when they hear Gabby (my mom), Baba Salem (Karim's father), Mama Faten (Karim's stepmom, or Nana (Karim's mom) is coming over for a visit. They met grandpa Kenny (my father) in April of 2017. It was a good trip, but their one and only meeting with him. We had plans to visit him next year, but he passed away on August 5, 2019. 
They have a bond with them that I've never had with my grandparents. On my father's and mother's side, both grandpas passed away before I was born. Although my grandmas were alive, they weren't physically close. One lived in England and the other was in Atlanta. It didn't matter that one was state side; both locations felt like a million miles away. I don't think I saw either of them more than five times as a child or young adult. 
I didn't think much about their lack of presence in my life until I would see friends with their grandparents or hear classmates talk about, they were doted on by them. I was envious. Eventually it passed. While I would have loved to have relationships with either one of my grandmas, it wasn't in the cards for me. 
I'm thankful that Akilah and Zak will have relationships with three of their grandparents. Each relationship is unique. I’m glad they’re developing positive relationship at this early age. It’s a blessing for our family.
I'm very lucky to have the family support I do, especially from the grandmas. I wouldn't be where I am today without them. Nor able to do the things I do like get a workout at the gym, have a date night, attend board meetings, teach gymnastic classes on Saturdays or other events that come up. 
My mom watched Akilah and Zak for two years, so Karim and I didn't have to put them into daycare full-time. Nana's help on the weekends gave Karim and I a much-needed night out. Dinners at Baba Salem's house gave us a break and Akilah and Zak time to catch up with their aunt and uncles close in age. When it comes to raising kids, it really does take a village.

Zak on Baba Salem's shoulders at Sesame Place this past May.
Akilah and Zak taking a rest with Gabby at the Essex County Zoo in New Jersey.
Visiting Grandpa Kenny in Little Rock, Arkansas.
National Grandparent's Day is September 8. In 1978, Congress passed legislation declaring the first Sunday after Labor Day as Grandparents Day. President Jimmy Carter signed it into law and the rest is history. Although the date may change from year to year, it is always celebrated the first Sunday after Labor Day.  
The grandparents in my life "care give like a boss." There aren't enough "thank yous" in a lifetime for all they do. I look forward to paying it forward one day. I'm not the only person benefiting from the love, care and ongoing support of grandparents. Millions of families are counting on grandma or grandpa as the primary caregiver in their family. 
When we have good people in our life it's important to acknowledge and recognize the value they add. National monthly recognition like National Grandparents Day serve as a gentle reminder. If your grandparent is still alive and you haven't said, "I love you," or "Thank you," Sunday would be a nice day for it.

Comments

Terry said…
Great article Aaliyah. Grandparents are very special, i had a special Oma and Opa and now I am an Oma. I am moving 3,000 miles away to be with my only grandson. I want him to say one day: "my oma and opa were an important part of my life". I can't wait. God bless your mother for giving you 2 years of non stop grandma love! and God bless the rest of your family, it really takes a village :)
Aaliyah said…
Terry, thanks for your comment. He's so lucky to have you in his life. I'm so happy for you!!
Unknown said…
Great article! I have so many fond memories of time with my grandparents. It is wonderful Akilah and Zak have so many loving people in their lives.