I didn't always celebrate Father's Day but now I do

About six months after my parents divorced my father moved out of the state. First he headed to Georgia and than to Arkansas. I didn't see him again until his mother passed away. That was around 1999. Five years with no physical contact. No child support. No alimony for my mom. 

It was a strange time for me. I grew as "daddy's little girl," but then the man I called dad was no longer there to support my sister or I.

There was a lot I didn't understand about my parents relationship and the varying events that eventually led to the demise of their marriage. I didn't have the full picture and it took a lot of years to get it. At the time it wouldn't have mattered because I had to adjust to my new normal - mom filling the role of mom and dad. It was a difficult transition for everyone. We all resented my father for many years. From high school until my late 30s I didn't celebrate have a reason to celebrate Father's Day. The man I was fond of as a child had lost my love and respect. While he wrote me letters, I felt they were either filled with broken promises or gibberish. Overtime I stopped reading.

It was hard to see some of my friends have close relationships with their father's. Often filled with envy and jealousy wishing I had what they did. Over the year's I even questioned if it was my fault. It wasn't, but there's always a need to try to find answers.

Family reunion in Arkansas, April 2018.
Due to the lack of a relationship with my dad I didn't think I was ever going to get married. I didn't  trust men. Even when I met a great guy who was the complete opposite of my father I struggled to trust him. I had to confront those issues and I did. I ended up marrying the great guy. Shout out to Karim. He helped me realize how my "daddy issues" had negatively effected other areas of my life. 

Time doesn't heal all wounds if you don't make an effort to forgive and let the past be in the past. Four years ago  I came full circle and forgave my Kenneth Miller. With the help of my cousin Wes I reconnected with him. Last April, with my family in tow we drove down to Arkansas for an unconventional family reunion. I wanted him to meet his grand kids. Looking back, I believe it was a healing moment for all us. We came together and turned a negative into a positive. That's a beautiful thing.


Zak watching Baba fix his bike.
My children will have a different relationship with their dad. I'm very grateful for that. For many years I didn't think I had a reason to celebrate Father's Day, but now I do. Happy Father's Day!

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Unknown said…
Lovely being so open....
Benjamin1021 said…
This was so dope Cuz! Loved the level of openness and maturity! You are so next level!
Joan Verlezza said…
This is a great story. I know you and Karim will be great parents! Thanks for sharing. It's not easy to be so open about painful things. Good for you because you overcame to find a better way.
Aaliyah said…
BJ and Joan thanks for your comments. It wasn't easy but I'm glad I chose the path of forgiveness. Hatred and revenge takes to much negative energy.
KEL said…
Great blog post. Here's something interesting, on the Friday before Father's Day I went to the cafeteria to get some lunch. The cashier nicely asked me if I was a father, but it completely caught me off-guard. I had no idea why she would ask such a question. In what became an awkward interaction I answered her 'no' and then asked her if she was a mother. A few hours later I realized that she was just being nice and was going to wish me a happy Father's Day had I answered in the affirmative. Father's Day is so alien to me that I have me no concept of it. I have no clue on what day/ date it lands and I have never celebrated it. The next Monday I went back to that cashier and apologized for my awkwardness.