Giving Thanks

Tomorrow we will celebrate Thanksgiving as a nation. It's my favorite holiday of the year because it's a time when I get to reconnect with family and friends as well as begin my year-end reflection process. Despite the ups and downs I face in  life I am thankful for every day I'm granted on this earth. In today's post I'm going to share the five things I am most thankful for.

My top five list of what I am thankful for this year:

1. Karim HadjSalem (the hubby). He helps keep me grounded and tries to keep me focused on my personal goals as well as our goals as husband and wife. It's an added bonus that he's a programmer and handyman! I'm a very lucky girl.

2. My family and friends. I consider my friends a part of my extended family. I have a few special shout outs. My first is to my mom. Even though I'm grown, there are so many ways that she still helps me today and I know I wouldn't be the person I am without her love and support. Shout out to Dawn, my older sister! Growing up we were like oil and water, but today I can't imagine my life without her. She's smart, tough and keeps it real (sometimes too real, lol). I love that we both share a passion for interesting films and television shows that help expand our thinking. Smooches to my besties, you know who you are. You are the sisters I wished for growing up. I count my blessings that are paths crossed and that I have each of you in my life today. To Michelle, my mother-in-law; Salem, my father-in-law; and Faten (Karim's step-mom), thank you for all the dinners you host throughout the year and for your constant love and support to Karim and I. To the Thomas, Reeves and Rhodes families, although I don't get to see you all as much as I would like, I'm glad we are still connected and I love spending time with the next generation. I'm also very thankful for my writing mentor Louisa Burns-Bisgno, she continues to inspire and encourage me with her wisdom and ability to tell meaningful stories.

3. My blog. Sharing is caring, plus a writer needs to write. This blog is a reminder that I have stories I want to tell and share with others and that I have other vehicles I need to continue to hone and develop like my screenwriting. I appreciate all of you who read it!

4. Finishing my master's degree. I have one more semester to go and I will graduate Gonzaga University's Communication and Leadership Program. This two years program has helped me grow both professionally and personally. My final semester is going to be my hardest yet as I work on my thesis project, but I ready for the challenge and feel both prepared and ready.

5. My new job, although it's not so new anymore. This time last year I was preparing to leave the Annie E. Casey Foundation (Shout out to my Casey family)  and join UIL Holding Corporation. I was happy to have another job, but didn't know what to expect and had some anxiety about that. I jumped in ready to learn and a year later I still have a job. Yeah! I have a much better understanding of the utility industry then I did a year ago and I look forward to continuing to grow and learn as I approach year two.

I wish you and your families a happy and safe Thanksgiving and feel free to let me know what you are thankful for in the comments section! I want to know!

Comments