Friday's Flashback: Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Under the Bridge"

It's late, but I wanted to squeak in this blog post. I'm not going to let Friday past without getting my flashback video out there. I really like this feature and sharing some of my favorite videos and songs with you. I feel like I bring you into the things that help to shape my opinions and how I view the world at large.

This week's Friday Flashback is Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Under the Bridge." I apologize for not sharing upbeat and happy-go-lucky video in advance, but I have to be real about why I choose this video to post.

When this song came out I was in eighth grade. I loved the smooth and calming rock melody, but at the time I didn't realize the song was about heroin use. Initially, I think I connected to the message of loneliness and wanting to be taken away. A few years later and wiser I got the song's real message about heroin, aka  H, white-horse, candy, an alluring and secretive killer drug. What I know realize is that the message of loneliness and the feeling of wanting to be taken away I connected to, is why many people try and then become addicted to heroin. It temporarily fills a void or the sense of emptiness the user feels. In recent months I've come to see the power of this addictive drug and its ability to rob an individual of their job, dignity, trust, soul, and by the grace of God not yet their life.

The drug deceives and makes those who fall under its influence deceptive. The drug offers the false illusion that it will take the pain away and when you think you can quit, you're hooked, you're and addict!

It's in our big cities, our suburbs, and our small and rural towns. All walks of life from business men to college students are seeking out the drug and fall victim to its deceptive allure. There are a lot of people who are "under the bridge" and struggling with heroin addiction. It's very unfortunate and sad, but it's a reality that is out there. If you know or suspect that someone your life is using heroin, try to help them get clean. You may be that individual's last hope.

Comments