Friday's Flashback: Janet Jackson's "That's the Way Love Goes"

My godsons outside of Boston's Museum of Science.
Happy Friday everyone! Sorry I missed last week's Friday's Flashback. I was busy gearing up for a weekend with my two godsons Malakai and Noah and I let the time get away from me. I  started the post but didn't finish it. While I enjoyed the quality time I spent with both boys, I'm glad to be back this week.

Janet Jackson hasn't topped the music chart in recent years, but it doesn't stop her from being a pop star icon. The last major media coverage you may remember on her was the infamous wardrobe malfunction at the half-time performance with Justin Timberlake at Super Bowl 38. I believe the incident was planned and not a a malfunction but it doesn't really matter at this point. Janet like the predecessors before her (Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick, etc.) have laid a strong foundation for today's pop solo female artists like, Britney Spears, Ciara, and others.

While I have many favorite songs and videos from Janet, Ms. Jackson if your nasty, I've decided to select "That's the Way Love Goes" as this week's Friday flashback. I love the song and video because Janet reintroduced a more sensual and smooth, yet fun-loving and still sexy self. I feel like she was telling the world she grew up and wasn't ashamed of her evolution. It was tasteful unlike the recent Miley Cyrus' performance on MTV's VMA show that showcased her evolution from kid superstar to adult female artist coming into her own. While I get where Miley was going, she really missed the mark in my opinion.

The video also features a cameo from Jennifer Lopez who was coming up in entertainment and pushing past her Living Color "fly girl" persona.Well that's all for now. Enjoy the video and have a good weekend!


Comments