The Kent Film Festival: My Sundance

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the Barnes and Nobles in Waterbury, trying to crank out an outline for my spec script. In the midst of my mind block I get a call. I look at that phone and don't  recognize the number so I let it got to my voice mail. The phone rings again and this time I decide to answer it. It was a  good thing I did, on the other end of the phone was a coordinator from the Kent Film Festival, http://www.kentfilmfestival.org/about.html, congratulating me on my acceptance into the festival. It took a couple of seconds for it to register and for me to respond to the good news. But once I realized his call was for real I was elated (it was a kodak moment).

Since I let so much time pass between that phone call and this entry, I cannot remember the man's name who called, but I do remember him telling me that he likes to personally call accepted filmmakers when he likes their film. My reply to him was, "You made my night." He really did. The last few weeks have been tough because I've been working on my spec script for the Nickelodeon Fellowship. At the time, I had a little less than a month to get it done and I wasn't even on my first draft. I proud to report that is no longer the case. I finished the draft at 2:30 am early Tuesday morning. I'm so happy we had snow and I got an hour and a half delay for work. Writing against the clock, but I'm writing.

Let me get back to the festival. I've submitted to numerous festivals and to date most of my email notices have been rejections, that is, when they have the courtesy to send me a rejection letter. Many festivals don't. I thank the staff at the Portland Women's Festival, the Vail Film Festival, the Ashland Independent Film Festival, the Women's International Film Festival, the Austin Film Festival, the Sunnyside Film Festival, and the Phoneix Film Festival for respecting my time and hardwork.

I know rejection is part of the game, but when happens to you, it still not easy to accept.  The good news from the Kent Film Festival really lifted my spirits. I see Kent as my Sundance. The Kent Film Festival is in my home state and will hopefully give After the Headlines some more exposure. I'm looking forward to attending the festival, participating in the workshops, and expanding my network in the Connecticut film community. It may be the only festival I get into this year, I truly hope not, but I have to be prepared for that.

I am grateful that I did meet one of my goals for After the Headlines in 2010. While I look forward to Kent and the magic happening for me, I will keep on working on my other goals. Thanks for reading.

Comments

Jaye Maynard said…
Congratulations on your very own Sundance A! Lots of love and support. Let me know how I can help. Hope to be a part of it. CT is just next door!
Aaliyah said…
Thanks for the love. Much appreciate:)
Unknown said…
Aaliyah, I look forward to meeting you at Kent. My wife, Tracey Birdsall-Smith and I will be screening Tick Tock, a short film.
Anonymous said…
Genial brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.