Showing Up


Last night, I had the privilege of attending the Silk City Flick Fest's opening night gala. I still have a sense of shock and feel honored that they accepted my short film, After the Headlines.


Today, I read The Daily Screenwriter, by Michael David Jensen. The Daily Screenwriter is a daily motivational blog where Jensen offers insight on things writers can do or should be doing to step things up in there creative process. Today's daily reflection was, "Success Means Showing up."


Considering I've been at a stand still on the writing front, I really needed to read that. My work starts with putting down words on a page or typing them on a screen. I can't expect to get very far if I'm not showing up with an attention to write. That is what I've been lacking lately. The same point was echoed to me by a producer I met last night. I won't put the producer on blast, but he is an industry veteran who has worked on classic films like The Stepford Wives (the original), Kramer vs Kramer and a bunch of others I can't remember. The list alone could fill up my blog. I told him a little bit about myself and my ambitions as a screenwriter. I also mentioned that I don't think Hollywood will want my stories. His retort was, "Are you a good writer?" I hesitated, I think he took that as a no. He then asked me, "If I wanted to be a good writer? I said, "Yes!!" His reply, "Well if you write a good story, then your job is done. Hollywood wants good stories. Your job is to become a good screenwriter.


We talked a little more, actually a lot more. He gave me the verbal kick in the tush that I needed. He reminded me that I'm too young to be so jaded and that writers are always writing. I say that, because although I'm heading to Mexico for a vacation, I won't be taking a vacation from my writing. I think that is a good thing.


A lesson I already knew was reinforced. As many times as I've heard it before I needed to hear it again and read it again today. Last nights opportunity would have not presented itself if I didn't show up at the gala for the Silk City Flick Fest. There is something to be said about showing up and doing the work. The reason I'm even a filmmaker at the 2009 Silk City Flick Fest is because I sat down and wrote a story. I need to get back to that. It starts now.

Comments