Sold on Sex

Hello all,

I'm sure most of you are sold on the idea of sex, if not for the enjoyment, probably for the continuation of the human race. However, I'm not talking about the act, at least not directly, I'm talking about the movie, Sex and the City. The film had hype over a year ago when it was announced that the hit HBO series would tie up all the loose ends with a film. I've have to admit I was a disbeliever, yeah, I loved the show, hell I envisioned my life being like the show after college (boy was I naive), but with the gossip of squabbles on the film set and a very long hiatus I didn't think it would hit. And I sure wasn't going to see it.

I was wrong on both accounts. Yes, I did see Sex and the City this past opening weekend (with my mom and sister) and boy did it hit big. It hit 55 million dollars big, knocking Indian Jones to second place with a strong finish of 46 million dollars for it's second weekend. But like the industry analysts I under estimated "girl power" at the box office. Not only did I under estimate the power of the female dollar, I forgot how much I loved the show, a show that changed the way women of all ages talked about sex, relationships, money, and fashion.

Don't worry I'm not going to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it yet. There will be no talk of plot and story in this blog. Instead I'm going to talk about the impact the show has had in my life. But before I go on, I will say that Sex in the City is a chick flick that hits on all the emotions woman look for in a good film. I laughed, I cried, and of course I admired the fashion. Everyone looked New York chic. Men be wary, that is unless you are a gay man or a fan of the show.

Seeing the film, reminded me why I fell in love with the show in the first place. I wanted what the characters Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, and Samantha wanted- love and success - and in their case I also envied their great jobs and fabulous wardrobes. Like many women, I saw bits of myself and my girlfriends in these characters.

The movie has helped me to gage where I'm at with obtaining some of my goals. I still don't have a pair of Jimmy Choos or Manolo Blahnik's in my closet and probably won't unless I find them on a clearance rack at DSW, but now my success is not defined in such material terms. Reality has forced me to down grade on some of my more narcissistic and idealist expectations in life. I haven't gotten rid of them all, but now that I'm almost 30 I feel like I much more reasonable.

I was inspired by the film. I love it when television and film has that effect on me, but when I think about it, the newly found inspiration I've found comes from a lot of things taking place in my life. Family, friends, a significant other, mentors, and co-workers (present and past) have helped me to get where I am today. I think viewing the film reminded me to look at those around me. I know real life doesn't have Hollywood happy endings, but that doesn't mean life isn't worth living.

At this moment, I feel like life is something to look forward to (which may change). I feel potential both within me and around me. What I get out of life is up to me. Do I have the commitment to never give up on myself or my goals? I think I do. I mean, yes, I do, of course. And although up until yesterday I was a disbeliever when it came the impact and influence of Sex and the City on the lives of women, now I'm sold and maybe you will be too.

Comments