Being Patient

Hello strangers, friends, and foes,

This past Monday (12/17/07), I had my first ever staged reading of a script I wrote called Finding Patience. When I heard about the opportunity, I felt lucky, but when I heard the actors say the lines I wrote, I felt blessed and thought to myself "maybe I do have some skills". It finally sank in that I'm a screenwriter. I've been writing for a few years, but I wasn't really sure if I was hitting the marks I set for myself.

I've been enrolled in an MFA writing program through Western Connecticut State University since spring semester of 2007. I still consider myself a mediocre writer, but I know there has been a noticible improvement in both my screenwriting and other forms of creative writing. Reading and writing, and more reading and writing are at the core of becoming a good writer, but when your skills or lack thereof are developed and fostered by individuals who believe in your ability to succeed, it makes all the difference.

I consider myself hard working, I'm not sure if I'm talented. I think time will tell. I've been blessed to get my recent opportunities and will continue to pound the pavement to dig up others.

At my age I see associates, friends, and colleagues getting married and starting families. They've settled into what I consider the next phase in adult life. I'm not ready for those responsibilities..not yet. My writing is my baby and I really want to nurture it. I refuse to let it flounder and become the dysfunctional child. I've got to live the dream I've created for myself and try to achieve as much as I can.

I'm just getting started and can't wait to see what 2008 holds. One good thing to report is that I have a second reading of Finding Patience, at the WestConn Winter Literary Festival on Sunday, January 6, 2007. It's a good way to start of the new year.

am

Comments