Why I shared facts about Black History Month on my LinkedIn page

“It's been my experience, Langford, that the past always has a way of returning. Those who don't learn, or can't remember it, are doomed to repeat it.” ― Steve Berry

With today being the final day of Black History Month (BHM), Mr. Berry's words remain relevant and important to heed.

In 1970 Kent University first recognized BHM, but it wasn't until six years later when president Gerald Ford officially acknowledged the month as part of the United States Bicentennial. While I personally see the importance of BHM there are moments when I feel our country's national observance is like a washing machine cycle. We wash, rinse, and repeat until the next year.

While it's on every calendar, has social media hashtags, and you'll hear your local news anchor remind you February is BHM, this type of recognition is PR light. Black history is American history; however, our culture doesn't treat it as if it is. It's why I made a point of posting a BHM fact, story, quote, or image from black individuals who've helped shape our nation with their achievements on LinkedIn and Twitter throughout February. Although it's a small gesture, it’s one that helps me internalize Mr. Berry's words.
 
I can look back to my own educational experiences and see the lapses in teaching black history to my generation. I love history. When I was in school, they called it social studies. It captured me around third grade and quickly became my favorite subject. In middle school (around 1992) I began to recognize how my history books whitewashed the black experience in the United States. 

Here's what my classmates and I generally learned. Black people were slaves. After slavery ended there was a short-lived period called Reconstruction where black slaves were given rights to own property and gain employment. Then those rights took a back seat to laws known as Jim Crow. The injustices of Jim Crow led to a civil rights movement, which was started by Rosa Park's bus boycott and a preacher named Dr. Martin Luther King. There were more protests and marches. Then on July 2, 1964 President Lyndon signed the Civil Rights Act and all was well for blacks in America.

I wish I were telling you these were the crib notes versions of the chapters, they're not. I don't believe there were more than 15 pages dedicated to black Americans. To my surprise in my junior year of high school a course on African American history was offered. It was an elective not a requirement.

I can remember questioning one of my middle school teachers’ about why there was no mention of Malcolm X in our books. He was surprised by my question and gave a dismissive response. I pushed on the issue with another question, but I could tell I was irritating him, so I stopped. It bothers me that I did that. It bothers me that my generation like many others before it didn't have the difficult conversations about race and racism until the media brought it to our living rooms. It still happens that way, we've now moved it from our living rooms to online.


As BHM ends, let's remember it's more than a month. Continue to learn about the black experience. Don't stop there. Look at the contributions of Asians, Hispanics, indigenous Americans and other ethnic groups who have shaped the fabric of this nation. In doing so we help ourselves, our families, and our communities.

Comments

KEL said…
I love this blog. When we look at what's happening in Texas, where they are dismissing the atrocious acts that happened during slavery and writing the facts out of the text books, it makes your blog all that much more important. Keep doing what you're doing, sis.
Unknown said…
Thanks so much for the comment Kel!