Time to move on, but not so easy

Like many Americans, accepting the election results has been tough. It's not because I'm surprised by Hillary's historical loss (I'm not, I recognized her flaws and accepted them), it's because of how president-elect Trump won. Divisive rhetoric that at it's core was meant to ensure that white Americans who felt threatened by the United States changing demographics weren't going to be forgotten. The covert message resonated and to Samantha Bee's point, "White people. I guess ruining Brooklyn was a dry run!" (Watch it.)

During the campaign president-elect Trump constantly talked about how the election was "rigged." In his win I can finally see the truth in that statement. Hillary had the cash, the pollsters, the experience, but one thing she didn't have was the media. Trump edged her out on that front and in the end I think media spin played a significant role in killing her presidential campaign. Social and main stream television media were assets. Trump used them to his advantage. Whether I like it or not, I have to admit that was a successful tactic. One that worked and resonated with more than the people in his base.

Since the election results there's been a lot said about how Hillary lost. Having gone through my seven stages of grief I'm finally ready to move on and focus on 2018/2020. I've listened to pundits and so-called experts on both sides. While the short-term picture looks pretty grim I remind myself that failure gives us the biggest opportunity to learn and course correct. America will move forward and so must I. I still have the power to shape my country and it's just as much as my country as it's David Duke.

As a fan of history I like to look back with a focus on the future. Words from President Obama, Bernie Sanders, Steve Colbert, Michael Moore and countless others have helped to lift me up and to begin the process of moving on and looking forward. I know there's light at the end of the tunnel. Besides there's too much work to be done in the form of checks and balances to sit out on the sidelines. It's how we got president-elect Trump. It will require thought, collaboration and action. 

My issue for 2017 and beyond is paid family leave for all Americans. We need it! Middle class families needed it yesterday. I want parent's jobs to be protected so they can get more than six or eight weeks to bond with their children. Pick your issue and get behind it with everything you have. The time is now.

Comments