Getting Outside of My Own Box: Two Weekend Roadtrips to Muse on


I look forward to having different experiences. While some individuals may prefer a routine that doesn't deviate from their usual patterns and practices, I like to experience different things because it helps shape my world view. I'm at my best when I'm able to see life from multiple perspectives, which helps me to be more empathetic to others.

These past two weekends I had the opportunity to hit the road and enjoy activities I wouldn't normally do. Two weeks ago I attended the Philadelphia Flower Show (PHS) with my mom and sister. This past weekend I attended 2015 PAXEast (PAX) with my husband and his friends. I don't think you can get much more different than gardening and gaming, but some things I learned from checking out these two events is that they have more in common than the letter g.  Here are five take aways I thought were worth sharing.

Commonalities Between PHS and PAX
  • Both events displayed creativity and innovation in their respected fields.
  • Both events were family-friendly and had displays and activities to engage parents and kids.
  • The audience for these events are growing. PAX continues to sell-out each year. PHS is one of the largest flower shows in the country and is considered top notch by industry insiders.
  • There is something for everyone. Even though these two conferences have a central audience, both recognize the need to diversfy their audiences. The PHS had a film and flower theme that highlighted a theme of diversity and while PAX is all about gaming, you get it the moment you step into the exhibition hall, they also offer workshops and special events that look at how gaming intersects with other industries like film and music.
  • Both events take a great deal of planning, dedication, and deliver for attendees.
What's an event you've recently attended that has broken up your regular routine? Let me know in the comments section!


Aladdin themed flower display.

2015 PAXEast Exhibition Hall.
Can't remember the type of flower but I jut had to get a shot.


Comments