Whoot, Whoot! My Thesis is in Comsuming/Culture: Women and Girls in Print and Pixels Conference


"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self." - Cyril Connolly

The quote above really resonates with me because as a writer, I want an audience, but every writer knows first and foremost you should write for yourself. The story should be the one you want to tell. 

Last May, I completed my thesis, "A Post-Feminist Look at HBO's Girls: A Critical Analysis of Characters, Career, Gender, and Sexuality" and it was published by ProQuest in August. I was really excited to have that accomplishment, but of course I couldn't stop there. I wanted the paper to get more exposure in the academic community. Gender bias is a topic of great interest to me and my paper provides an overview of how television has been and continues to be a tool that perpetuates gender role stereotypes for women and men in our society. I want to be a part of this narrative and keep conversations going because I believe this topic impacts our society and culture.

Not long after I finished my thesis I came across a conference called Consuming/Culture: Women and Girls in Print and Media. I read the conference overview and thought my paper would be a perfect fit so I submitted. Looks like I was right. My paper was accepted and I have the opportunity to present as part of session on post-feminism. The conference will take place at Oxford Brooks University, United Kingdom on June 5-6.

I've looked at the agenda and love the session topics. There are sessions on self-representation, body image, teenage sexuality, fashion, motherhood, contemporary celebrity and much more. Great discussions to be had for sure.

While I'm estactic about my acceptance, the one drawback is the conference location. I'll have to figure out if I have the budget and the time to get out there. Traveling across the Atlantic for a two-day conference is going to be a stretch. 

In the meantime I'll focus on the positive. I've been accepted to my first academic conference post grad school. Holla!

Thank you to the programing committee at Consuming/Culture. I hope to see you in June.

Comments