New Year, New Me, Well Sort of

Happy New Year! We're 10 days into 2014 and I'm feeling good, minus the frigid cold temperatures. Although I've lived in the northeast all my life I still can't get used to temperature that are in the teens with a wind chill factor that brings it down to zero or below. Thank goodness for my wool socks and my Koolaburra boots. I can at least keep my feet snug and warm. Luckily, the temperature seems to be warming up.

TGIF! I know I usually use my Friday post for a flashback video, but considering we are just 10 days into 2014, I thought I spend some time talking about my goals for this year and what I plan to strive for. I think most people tend to look forward to the new year. It's a chance to start fresh and work on  resolutions or goals I set for myself. I prefer goals over resolutions because goals feel more action-oriented to me. Over the years I've noticed a trend that people tend to forget their resolutions by the end of the first quarter. Whereas, if I set a goal and don't achieve it by a certain date, I still keep it on the list to g back to and evaluate why I'm making or not making progress.

On January 1, I opened a letter that I wrote to myself  in 2012 about goals that I hoped to achieve in 2013. I have Chloe White, our fab real estate agent to thank for the idea. She sent it to me in one of her lovely newsletters. It was pretty interesting to see what I hoped to achieve by year's end and what I actually did. I actually achieved quite a few things off of my list, but not everything.

My biggest deficit was on the screenwriting front and that is a  still a goal for me in 2014. I'm happy to report that my screenwriting goal is a page a day minimum and I'm already 12 pages into my next screenplay. With this goal I will have four completed scripts by the end of the year. I fully accept that I may get off track but I pick up where I left off. Everyday is a new day with new opportunities. I've already written more new material in the first 10 day of this year than all of 2013. With a page a day goal it's about keeping focus and my momentum.

Another big focus for 2014 is giving back to my community. While I donate to many causes, I want go deeper and connect with people and issues on a more personable level. There is a lot of need in my own backyard and I want to be a part of positive change.

I also hope to graduate with a second master's degree from Gonzaga University's Communication and Leadership Studies program this May. Next week I'll begin my final course for my thesis project and it's been a long time coming.

It's a new year, but not really a new me. You will get the same old me looking for ways to grow and enhance myself.  Let me know what you're looking forward to in 2014!

Comments