Friday's Flashback: Pearl Jam's "Jeremy"

Happy Friday! I don't know about all of you, but I'm ready for the weekend. While I look forward to most weekends I feel the need to embrace the ones that bring moderately warm temperatures as I make my way through the fall season. 

Since I've started this feature I realized that I haven't posted any alternative/rock videos. Today will change that. I'm bringing you back to 1992, when Pearl Jam released Jeremy. The song quickly rose to the top of the "alternative/rock" music charts thanks in part to the heavy rotation of the video on MTV (ah the good ole' days when MTV still aired videos).

According to Wikipedia, The song was inspired by a newspaper article Vedder read about a high school student that shot himself in front of his English class.




I selected this video for this week's Friday's Flashback because although the video is 10 plus years old, the topic is still very relevant, especially when you think about issues like cyber bulling (an epidemic with young people) or our nation's mental health crisis. Thanks to a plethora of tragic news stories on television, radio and in social media, we know that both adults and children are falling through the cracks.

It's easy to say it's not my problem, but if we keep on doing that, eventually it will become our problem. As you get ready for the weekend, think about people you may know who struggle with mental illness. If you recognize a problem with a friend or family member, don't ignore it. Below are some online resources that can help. 

Comments

Karim said…
Huh, I never knew.