Playing it SMART in 2012

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday break. I've really enjoyed my week off and am slowly getting ready to go back to work. I didn't want to get close out the year without writing a blog entry that helps me put things into perspective for 2012.

This is the time of year when many people make resolutions. Some resolve to loose weight, save more money, to be more productive, or just be happier.  One of the problems I find with New Year's resolutions is that they loose their thrust by the end of March. People tend to get back into the usual routine and the resolutions don't yield that sense of urgency as we make it through another year. One of my goals for 2012 is to maintain that sense of urgency .

When I look back at 2011 I can say I made some significant strides in a variety of areas in my life. I started my second master's program with Gonzaga University, began house hunting (and if all goes well Karim and I will close on our first home in a little over a month), and tackled some new projects at work. However, there is one area that didn't get my attention. That would be screenwriting. I won't make excuses for not writing, instead I will accept the fact that I dropped the ball on this front. As this year quickly comes to a close I realize that screenwriting must be a priority that I focus on and am actively working at.

In the past, I've talked about winning contests and screenwriting fellowships or getting an agent. Before any of those things can come to the fruit I want, I just need to write and be consistent. Rather than worry about the crops I want to see, I need to make sure I'm tending to the land and building a solid foundation.

I read a discussion thread in my Independent Filmmakers and Screenwriters group in LinkedIN that put my screenwriting goals in 2012 into perspective for me. I need to play it SMART.

S = Simple
M = Measurable
A= Achievable
R = Realistic
T = Timely

As part of playing it SMART my goals will be to:

1. Read a script a week.
2. Watch a new film a week.
3.Writer a page a day.
4. Spend five hours a week prepping story ideas.

Playing it SMART is not just about making a resolution for the new year, it's about changing the pattern of how I work as a screenwriter. I have four simple goals for 2012. If I stick to these goals I will have read 52 scripts, watched 52 movies, and have written two feature-length scripts. I like the sound of that.


Wishing you a Happy New Year and hoping that you also play it SMART in 2012 whatever your goals in life are.

Comments