Friday, December 16, 2011

It's a Wrap: Reflections on my First Semester with Gonzaga

Today my first semester with Gonzaga is officially wrapped . It feels good to write that sentence. So very good. At the moment, I want to coordinate a flash mob dance routine to celebrate, but instead I will write this blog entry. This semester was rough at times. I had my fair share of ups and downs.

Although my coursework was pretty comprehensive and took over my life for 16 weeks, I can say I feel better as a result of it. I just completed a course entitled the Social Dynamics of Computer Technology. In this course I looked at technology and its social and cultural impact in our daily lives. I have to admit that before this class I didn't really think about how my life has been impacted by technology. Questions like "Who are the winners and losers in technology?" or "Does computer technology drive me or am I driven by technology?," pushed me to be more critical about the role it plays in my life. I also looked deeper at how technology has shaped and influenced all the messages we get on a daily basis. Despite the Utopian ideals that we have come to accept with the Internet and new media technology I was reminded that we must remain critical of the information we receive and the ways in which we receive it.

During my second course I managed to squeak in some time to participate in the 2011 Action on Film (AOF) Screenwriters Invitational. I was the head writer of my group and we were charged with writing a six page comedic script. I was a little nervous about taking this project on, but in the end it worked out. I realized that I can be funny on paper and according to my team of screenwriter (which by the way is a very talented group) I was a good leader that kept my team on task. The short we produced is called This is It, which is now in the judging process. Next year I will find out if my team is a finalist.

The AOF Screenwriters Invitational gave me an opportunity to put my script hat back on. I'm thankful for it because I've really missed writing. During the break I plan get back to it. I'm looking forward to that and catching up with T.V. shows and films I missed. Netflix here I come!! I'm wrapped and ready to unload, watch out folks!!

I wish you all a safe and fun holiday season and the very best in 2012. I'm looking forward to it and hope all of you are too!

1 comment:

ChaChanna said...

Congrats on finishing up your first semester! And, can't wait to hear the results of your short.