Back to meetings with the Connecticut Screenwriters

If you follow my blog and diligently read it when I shoot you an email notification, post it on facebook, LinkedIn, and twitter (hint, hint), then it's no surprise that I've been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride when it comes to my screenwriting. While I would have hoped to have the latest revision of my feature script Finding Patience done and at least two other scripts in my writer's pipeline, sadly I do not. Making the time to write and just write is a real challenge for me. Some how life, work, friends, and a bunch of other details manage to get in the way.

Around this time last year I was informed about a Connecticut screenwriting group that met at the West Hartford Public Library. After I found out about the group it still took me about two months before I showed up to a meeting. I believe I went to three meetings. That is the minimum you have to attend before you can submit your script to be in the queue (on the list) for review. I really enjoyed the meetings and being in the presence of other screenwriters who also want to get their script made into a film and make a living as a screenwriter. It was empowering. I learn and improve my own scripts by reading others and listening to the feedback of other screenwriters. I'm not sure why I dropped the ball on attending the meetings. I think some of it had do with gearing up for film festivals, planning a wedding, and realignment at work. I also probably didn't have the motivation.

This is how I feel sometimes when I sit
down to write.
For me it's like coming down with a cold. When I'm getting sick and I know I need to go see a doctor and nip it in the beginning but I don't. When the cold incapacitates me to the point that I can't do anything, then I finally seek help. I've been fighting this screenwriting cold (my lack of ability to sit down and do the damn work) and I've been chipping away at it for a while rather than going to a doctor. I decided that I needed to get back my mojo and felt like going to a meeting with the Connecticut Screenwriters was my doctor's visit. I think I was right. Click on this link to visit their facebook page, Connecticut Screenwriters.

Going to last night's meeting was invigorating. I realized that I've been missing a group to share and reflect with. The way the group works really allows the screenwriter to get in-depth feedback that will help in his/her next revision and the other writers around the table recive lessons learned too. I know I did last night. I will be applying some of the tips I heard to my own script when I go to revise Finding Patience this weekend. 

One of the screenwriter in the group has his feature script being reviewed by one of the industry's major agencies. I remember when I first went to the meeting and he won a screenwriting contest and was talking about his coverage (professional feedback on a screenplay). He's been going to the meeting for a year and a half, writing, and is starting to really see the fruits of his labor. I'm looking to make similar inroads but in order to get there I need to write and write a whole bunch. Kurt Sutter, creator of FX's Sons of Anarchy and The Sheild, wrote a kick-ass blog a few weeks ago entitled, Writers Write that also was a reminder of what I'm not doing. I highly recommend giving it a read.

I am glad that the Connecticut Screenwriters meet monthly. I needed to be at last night's meeting and it felt good to be back. Now I have to get this next revision done so I can be ready for the next cue or the one after that.

Comments

Tom Murphy said…
And we'll start meeting twice a month, second and last Wednesday.

All are welcome. Thanks for the blog post Aaliyah!