Rejection Isn't Always a Bad Thing

Hello all,

This week I've been thinking about what I was going to blog. I want to make sure I stay on track and write a blog entry a week.

When I got home I checked my email. As I was scanning through my junk mail I came across an email from the Central Florida Film Festival. My gut told me it was a rejection, but I had to look at it anyways.

I was right. After the Headlines wasn't accepted. However, it wasn't the standard rejection email thanking me for submitting and telling me the competition was so strong this year. Bob Cook, the festival director, http://bobcookfilmdirector.blogspot.com/, was matter-of-fact on why After the Headlines wasn't chosen by the five judge panel. I won't go into the details, but I will say that I found this rejection letter to be inspiring. I know, that has to sound weird. Mr. Cook told me not to take the critique personal. He reminded me that film is art and art is subjective. I really appreciated his words. I found them comforting even though I know this is another rejection to add to the list.

Mr. Cook also reminded me that filmmakers need to have a thick skin.  He's right. He closed his email hoping that his comments will help me be a better filmmaker. I can honestly say that they will. There is always room for improvement. Like Diddy says, "Can't stop, won't stop."

This was probably the best rejection letter I have received thus far. Mr. Cook let me know what didn't work for the judges and when I make another film I will keep his comments in mind. While I'm not happy After the Headlines was rejected, I learned that rejection isn't always a bad thing. There is a lesson to be learned from it. My lesson is to keep writing.

Comments