It's Important to Read the Fine Print

This Sunday I was thrilled. I had finally finished editing my audition tape for Oprah's Next TV Star. I had spent Memorial Day weekend shooting footage of a trip to the Finger Lakes I took with my sister Dawn. My idea for the video was to do the standard introduction but then also showcase my skills with a camera and being on camera.  I took a look at some of the interviews online and thought my idea was different and would help it stand out.

I submitted the video at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday night. I was all set to do my social media blast. I created an event in facebook and posted the link, but when I clicked on the link I noticed the video wasn't up. I go check my email and see an email from the contest staff at Own. I click on it and read the message. My video was rejected. I was at a loss for words. How can this be? The email advised that I take a look at the rules and regulations. I go to the page with the rules and regulations and start reading again. Half-way down the page I see that there must be no mention of alcohol or showing of alcohol along with no products and a bunch of other stuff. I thought to myself, "How did I miss this the first time?"

My whole concept for the video was to highlight my road trip to the Finger Lakes, which is a wine producing area in upstate New York. The video is about our trip but is completely centered around wine and the wine trail we visited. I realized I made a major miscalculaton on my part. I think I must have been so excited about my idea that I neglected to read the fine print. 

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfI0OqXvWSM. I would love to get your feed and see what you think. I've decided to scrap redoing the tap and submitting it. I just don't have the time to develop another concept, shoot, and edit  it myself. The editing was the hardest part. Kudos to all the editors out there, I have an even greater appreciation for the work you do. Editing is really is an artform. Another reason I'm not submitting is because I don't want to be on a reality show competing against others for a show on Oprah's new network. I actually have a few colleagues pursuing the opportunity. I gladly will throw them my votes.

Even though I'm no longer pursuing Oprah's competition, I have another competition on my plate. My photo has been accepted in MovieHatch for the Times Square "Your Face in Lights" Contest. I can use your support, better yet I NEED YOUR VOTE. To vote click on this link: http://www.moviehatch.com/index.php?option=com_moviehatch&task=TimesSquare&Itemid=104&f=7e587f1688cbeaea3a1ed1a8922dd497

The lesson that was reiterated to me is always read the fine print. I could have saved myself a lot of time and effort. I''m not going to let the video footage I shot go to waste, instead I'm going to reedit it and make it the highlight video I want audiences to see. When it is done I will make sure to share it. Thanks for reading and thanks for your vote.

Comments

MovieHatch said…
So glad you're a part of our Face In Lights contest!
Aaliyah said…
Glad to be a part of it and the movie hatch community:)