Onward and Upward: Trying to Stay Focused

I'm long overdue for a blog entry. My apologies on my lack of earnestness, but the last two weeks have not been very productive for me. I think it's because my head is in a lot of places and I haven't buckled down and focused on the writing. The stories that are in my head have not made it to paper or onto my computer screen. Trying to move onward and upward has not been an easy task for me.

I hope to change that this week. Writers write and since I haven't been doing that, I don't feel much like a writer. I don't want this blog to come off completely negative, because I do have some things I'm looking forward too. I'm estactic that After the Headlines will have its premiere at the Kent Film Festival, http://www.kentfilmfestival.org/, April 22 to 25, 2001. I give myself goosebumps knowing that the film will be screened at Kent. I feel so honored. It's my first and hopefully not my last film festival. I plan to do a grassroots publicity blitz, which will require sending out press releases to local media and hitting up local business to see if they will let me display the poster (which I still have to get made). There is no rest for the wary.

Trying to stay focused is a continual struggle for me, but I will need to overcome it in order to move forward. If I don't do the work, I will not have a product to pitch and promote and I need more scripts to get out there in the world. Yesterday, I went to the local library and picked up John Truby's, The Anatomy of Story. I hope this book will help center me and give me some tools to master my art of storytelling. I know I can't expect the book to fix my focus problem, but I do hope that it will point me in the right direction. I'm also reading QBQ: The Question Behind the Question. This book has been assigned for me to read on the work front. It's about practicing personal accountability at work and in life. I can use that too.

Onward and upward folks. Thanks for listening.

Comments

ACW said…
I was thinking of you last night as a strange experience gave me pause to actually try to write a script treatment...and I thought to myself "Maybe Aaliyah can break from her writing to give me some tips." LOL! We ARE writers but the reality is it's a continuous battle, isn't it? Don't get discouraged...maybe your brain just needs a break so it can reenergize the creative juices.
Aaliyah said…
Anne,

Thanks. I needed to he read your comment. I definitely need to reenergize myself. I started reading John Truby's book last night. I really like it. It is geared to all writers, not just screenwriters. So far so good.

I would love to help you with a script treatment. Shoot me an email and we can talk:)