My Thesis: The Last Lap

Hello all,

Right now I should be tackling yet another rewrite of my Sons of Anarchy (SOA) spec script. I took a look at it during my lunch and finally made it through to the end. It was grueling. I can't believe all the typos and missed words I had....hot mess. And although I know I'm in my last lap, for some reason I feel the need to pass the baton, however, no one is on the receiving end. I'm tired. Tired of reading, rewriting, reading some more, and so on and so on.

Despite the fatigue I feel at the moment, I can truly say I'm amazed that I'm here. I started the Western Connecticut's Professional Writing MFA program two and a half years ago and the end is almost near. I go through periods of excitement and then moments of blah (my current momentis blah). I think I'm a little blah right now because I know writing is work. Like most things in life, in order to excel at it, one has to stay at it and not become complacent.

A couple of weeks ago I stayed home and cranked out my first draft of SOA. It totally drained me but I did it, even though it took me a lot longer than I anticipated. I was freaking myself out over my treatment, the characters, and the story's arc amongst other things. I finally finished rereading my first draft and realize that I still have a lot of work to do to streamline the story. Am I dreading the work, yes, but it is still work I have to do. Not only does my degree depend on it, it's about my future as a screenwriter. I have to have the will and tenacity to follow through my projects.

This helped to pick me up. Now, I have to ground myself. I'm in the final stages, racing against the clock. My last lap has begun. I hope to finish strong.

Comments