Greetings from Aruba


Hello all,

Bon Bini (hello/welcome). Bon Bini is Papiamento, the predominant language in Aruba spoken by the locals. Papiamento and Dutch are the official languages in Aruba. Papiamento is a language that has been evolving through the centuries and absorbed many words from other languages like Dutch, English, diverse African dialects, and most importantly, from Portuguese and Spanish.

Aruba's slogan is "the friendly island," and I can honestly say it is true. The locals make you feel like you're at home. It is very easy to embrace oneself into the culture which is a mix of Dutch, Spanish, Arawak Indian, and African traditions. I find the Spanish and Dutch influence to be the most prominent. Aruba is a desert island, not much grass, but plenty of cactus and palm trees.

So far my vacation has been both relaxing and fun. My only shortcoming has been with my writing for Sons of Anarchy (SOA). I plan to do catch up over the last couple of days here. I've done my morning pages (journal entry) every morning since I arrived, but no work on SOA. I've been to busy exploring and enjoying the island. That will change today.

A couple of days ago I went to a bar/restraurant, called the Black Hog Saloon. The Black Hog is a place that offers a bunch of activities, like minature golf, go-cart racing, riding a mechanical bull (which I did and lasted 8 seconds, applause!!!), plus a bunch of games for couples and adults. It's a place where you can let loose and have good ole time. The decor of the Black Hog is a lot like Friday's or Applebees with signage everywhere, but the signage is all biker oriented. Can you say Harley Davidison? Being there reminded me that, while you're here to enjoy yourself, there is a biker story with your name on it.

The weather has been a sweet 85 -90 degrees during the day and drops to the 70s at night. It is going to be so hard to leave and go back to chilly New England weather. I have a couple days left.....:(, but while I'm here I plan to make the most of it. I'm glad I had an opportunity to check in. Thanks for reading and see you when I get back home.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi. Super site nice weather today

http://www.medicalschoolforum.com/forums/members/weather-today.html