Back from Aruba and Trying to Get It Done

Hello all,

Yes, I'm back from the sunny shores of Aruba. Boy, was it nice to get away. Dawn and I had a really good time (stay tuned for pictures on my facebook page). The downfall of vacation is that it eventually comes to an end and you have to get back to life as you know it. Now that the week is almost over I'm finally feeling like myself. It's a good thing because a sista has a lot of writing to do.

In less than five weeks I will have to submit my thesis for graduation from Western Connecticut State University's Professional Writing Program (http://www.wcsu.edu/writing/mfa/). I can't believe the end is almost near. It's sort of nerve racking. I would have like to done writing for my spec script while I was on vacation, but I just didn't. I know I only have myself to blame. I did do some reading and some of it was related to scriptwriting so it wasn't a complete loss. Nothing ever is, at least that is what I like to think.

Last night, I had an epiphany as I was reading Ellen Sandler's, The TV Writer's Workbook (if you are interested in writing for television I highly recommend it). I realized that I haven't taken off on the script because my foundation isn't solid. While I've written a treatment, it's not solely focused on Jax, the show's central character. In order for me to move to the next step (my outline then script), I need to get my treatment right and plug the holes. Ellen gave a bunch of tools that I will use this weekend to plug the holes. I feel more confident that I can do this, I know I have to, but I actually believe in myself and I think that is half the battle.

Family, friends, the boyfriend, and all the extra curricular activities I enjoy will have to take the back burner until I finish my thesis. Writing has to be my central focus right now. I apologize in advance, but I have to sacrifice for the greater good which is my future as a screenwriter. It's not going to be easy, but I will take the advise of my thesis advisor, David Rich (a seriously talented screenwriter) that I'm blessed to be working with this semester, "Sit down and write and don't stop until your done." I will. I also want to shout out my other advisor, Leslie Dallas, she's also been a fantastic advisor to me for the past two semesters. Kudos to you both:)

From this point forward no excuses, it's about getting the work done.

Comments