After the Headlines: Scene 3 Missing in Action

I wanted to have a more upbeat and positive update about After the Headlines for my blog and while it's nice to want things that isn't the case. I think that's why it's taken me so long to write this entry. By now I thought I would be half-way to a rough cut of the film, but the disappointing reality is that I'm currently missing a pivotal scene for my film. Yes....I am missing a scene. It was shot, but it is currently missing in action? How did that happen I really can't say. The DP believes that there is a tape missing, but I disagree because I know every time he gave me a tape I gave it to my production coordinator and at the end of the shoot we counted six tapes not seven. I also think that if there was a missing seventh tape, it would have popped up long before I started logging and capturing footage for the third time. I must say I've gotten really good with organizing and capturing clips.

What's next? Well, I have to drop the external hard-drive with the logged clips to the editor (please let there be no problems this time). He'll look at what I have and work with me to come up with a creative solution to work around the missing scene. I personally think I will have to re-shoot the scene, but want to hold off to the editor looks at all the footage shot. I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I did catch some continuity issues and I have to find out if he can edit around them. If not that may mean additional scenes to re-shoot. I'm not looking forward to that option, but it might have to been done for the greater good of the film.

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I was devastated and a hot mess. While I know it isn't over, I just can't help but feel like I let people down, especially myself. I try to remind myself that this mishap is part of the learning process. Even A-list directors have flubbed at one time or another and they didn't let their mistakes stop them for achieving their goal. I still have a film, not the film I anticipated, but a film nonetheless. It's time for me to make lemonade out of lemons.

I've already sent an email to cast and crew to let them know the status of things. It was nice to get emails back from folks showing me their continued support. I felt better after reading those emails. Each day I feel a little bit more optimistic. There are possibilities and I'm going to have to think "outside the box" to get over this hump. The saying that nothing worthwhile in life comes easy is so true...unless you happen to of be Paris Hilton...lol. Whatever it takes I will make a short film of the footage I shot for After the Headlines. From this point forward I just need to be prepared for the worse and hope for the best.

Comments