Two Days and Counting


I know it's been a while since my last blog. Forgive me, I've been preoccupied. Someone famous (who I can't remember) once said, "There are no good excuses," and normally I would agree with that, but this time I actually think I have one, at least in this case.

Rather then comment on news or my random thoughts on life, I've been busting my buns to memorize my lines for the upcoming production of No Niggers, No Jews, No Dogs (opens July 9, 2008, 8 p.m. at Nicu Spoon's Theatre located on 38 W 38th Street between 5th and 6th). For the actors reading this, we all know the real work can't begin until you get your lines down. I've been drudging along in the process for the last two weeks. While I have my lines memorized, there are moments when I just blank on a line or miss a cue. I'm still trying to get past those mishaps with two days to the show opening.

I'm not nervous as of yet. I sure my nervous energy will hit me right before the curtain call, but as soon as things go in motion I usually settle and focus at the task at hand which will be making it through the scene, one scene at a time. I'm really excited about this performance. It's been almost four years since I last stepped foot on a stage. When I took my full-time job at Casey it was one of my creative endeavors that I put on the back burner. I made the decision to get a steady check and some benefits rather then live as a starving artist. Being a starving artist may be chic in your early twenties, but at 25 plus it is a dangerous proposition, especially with the state of the U.S economy. It was a hard to choice to make, but I'm glad I did it.

Yeah it's taken me four years to get back to a passion I've never truly let go of, but there is also something to be said for being able to pay my bills on time, treat myself to a vacation, and know I have money put away for retirement. I don't think I ever really gave it up on my creative interests, I just changed how I approached getting back to them. Deciding to do this play hasn't been easy, it's a sacrifice on my time, loved ones in my life, and financially (driving back and forth and parking in NYC is enough to make me gag) and say "Why am I doing this?" But here's my answer, "When I'm lucky enough to go see a play, I always think to myself, remember when you were last on stage. Yeah it was stressful but the thrill made it all worth it. Going to see plays reminds me of that thrill I'm missing. I envy the actors on stage. Do I want to be spending $$$ to fill up my tank or put wear and tear on my car (thank God I have a Honda Civic), of course not, but there is something about the thrill of being on stage that makes it all worth it. It's a beautiful thing to take someones words, bring them to life in a theatre and hopefully captivate an audience. It's magical and I love knowing that I'm a part of the magic.

In life we need to pay the bills, however we should also try to do what we love. True success comes from doing the things we love to do. I hope to professionally make a living as a screenwriter and performer, but in the meantime I'll continue to write as well as relish my participation in No Niggers, No Jews, No Dogs, and other future creative opportunities that come my way.

Comments