Excited about 2008

Hey Bloggers,

I want to say Happy New Year, but I think it's a little cheesy, especially considering the state of the world. Despite some of the tragic world events, I still have some excitement for 2008. Like many I've set new goals and am going to work hard to achieve a good number of them. I really do feel like I'm showing some gains in these last few years. I'm still not at where I thought I'd be, but I doubt most people can look at themselves and say "this is where I thought I'd be" or "this is where I want to be." I hope I don't sound to pessimistic because that's not what trying to exude.

It's just that when I was a naive teenager, I thought I knew everything, I had all the answers and I was going to be making really good money when I graduated college. Real life was a rude awakening for me. Getting a good paying job in communications was impossible for me. I had to hustle with odd jobs being a jack of all trades and that doesn't put you on a career track. Today, things look different, I'm doing pretty (hard work and getting breaks helped me get here). I have a good job with a really good agency. I've got benefits like insurance and a better than average healthcare plan, plus I'm in school working on my master, pursuing what I'm really passionate about. It took me longer than expected to get where I am today and I still feel like I have a long way to go. I'm healthy and it good spirits, so the skies the limit.

I don't doubt that life with throw me some curve balls. I just hope I can maintain my sanity and before able to deal with whatever problems come my way. Right now, I'm at my MFA residency at WestConn. It's where I meet with other writers in my program. We attend writing workshops, lectures, and readings that help to enhance our skills while also connecting us with our mentors for the next semester, and fellow students in the program. The residency began yesterday, so far so good. I'm really looking forward to taking my screenwriting to the next level. This semester my mentor for writing in the primary genre is Leslie Dallas, she was a writer for Gilmore Girls as well as a few other TV shows and film. This will be my first time working with a female screenwriter, which is another reason I'm looking forward to the semester. Yes my social life will dwindle, but all artists, really good and dedicated artists have to pay that price.

I could go on, but I come to an end so I can get back to checking my emails. I really like this blogging thing. I get to some of what's in my head out there. Feel free to respond.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi, I am interested in speaking with Leslie about a teaching opportunity. Do you have her contact info? If so, please send it to me at lleifheit [at] wesleyan.edu.

Thank you!
miranda said…
Check it out. Leslie Dallas is a fraud. A minor prize winner in those stupid contests, usually coming in at less than first. A hanger-on.