A Change for Super Tuesday

Compromise. I don't always like to do it, but it's a necessity for change. I think if people were willing to compromise more, societies would be a lot more productive. The attitude that winner takes all leaves to many losers.

Currently, I'm a registered Independent, have been since I've been able to vote. Although I take great pride in being a registered independent, I want to give my support to Barack Obama for "Super Tuesday." I believe he represents this country's best chance for positive change.

I feel and polls across the nation suggest that every vote is going to count in Obama's candidacy for president. It's been a fight from the beginning and it will be a bitter fight to the end. While I still have my qualms with a two party system that poses as a democracy, I still want to exercise my right to vote. Tomorrow morning I'm going to switch from an Independent to a Democrat. Obama will get my vote on "Super Tuesday," and if he goes the distance he'll get my vote in November. After all this election hoopla is over I'll switch back.

I know a lot of young people are disenfranchised with our government, the war, the economy, hell our own lives, but we've all got to take responsibility for where we are at and where we hope to be in the future. Every citizen needs to be accountable. I believe this country needs a change, I know it's not going to be easy and I'm not looking forward to the future. Right now I have a pessimistic outlook. I'm of the opinion that President Bush and his administration have made a real mess of things and whoever gets in office is going to have a hell of time trying to clean it up.

With that said, a part of me still has hope for a better tomorrow. As individuals, our influence may seem minuscule, but collectively we can have a positive impact in our communities, our government, and maybe even the world.

I want to give a big kudos to the state of New Hampshire. I love the state's motto, "Live Free or Die," and the fact that independents can choose whether or not they want to caucus for Democrats or Republicans. That's progressive and should be applauded. I love my "nutmeg" state, but seriously I think it's time Connecticut changed how citizens vote for our presidential candidates.

Comments