Anyone out there

Hello fellow bloggers,

Another cold weekend is behind us. I'm already counting down to Spring. I wish I could enjoy the winter months, but I find the cold, especially when temperatures dip below -0 a non-motivator. Despite the cold tempatures, I managed to get out on Saturday. Karim and I went to his co-worker's home to partake in a movie night. I think a good time was had by all, but while I was laughing at the movie I kept thinking to myself, this time could be better spent for me. I should have been reading Aristotle's Poetics or better yet working on my synopsis or restructuring my outline. The upside to me not getting any work done is that I got to spend time with Karim. It's something we don't get to do often, since we both work full-time during the week.

Having to keep that balance between work and play is tough. I always find myself getting sidetracked or losing focus when it comes to my schoolwork. The semester has just started and I already feel like I'm falling behind. I feel like I have to spend this week trying to catch up and that means late nights and not enough sleep.

There are a few things that I can do to help my case, like not gossiping on the phone with girlfriends after the latest breaking news story or talking about the donkey who still hasn't paid me back and won't. It cuts into my homework time and although I enjoy it, I'm the one who pays for it down the road. Instead of chatting it up with co-workers at lunch, I should take 30 minutes and squeeze in some of my reading and or writing. a social butterfly, but the writer in me needs to isolate myself more these next couple of months.

There are a few T.V shows that I like to watch: October Road, Prison Break and The Wire, let me not mention all the shows I would like to catch up on like The L Word, Dexter, House, Nip Tuck, The Shield, Damages, etc. I could go on and on. The good thing is that the WGA strike is still on and most of my shows are down to a couple episodes. I'll squeeze those in and then call it quits. Survivor, The Apprentice, American Idol and the hundreds of other reality T.V shows can continue to saturate and erode our choices of quality programing. For those who get truly disgusted and don't have cable, I recommend you check out public television or visit your local library, and with a recession looming there is nothing like borrowing for free.

Unfortunately I will only be able to do the above sparingly. Although I realize I just have to suck it up, it doesn't make the sucking up any easier.

Here's my to do list for the next week.

  • Do a better job managing my time and workload.
  • Use calendars to plan my schedule accordingly.
  • Don't multi-task. Work on an assignment until it's done.
  • Read at least an hour before I go to bed.
  • Spend less time on the phone with friends.
  • Follow through with what I say I'm going to do.

I'll check in the middle of the week and let you know how I'm doing. If you have any tips, please feel free to post. Comments are welcome.

Comments