Ready, Set, Go: Consuming Culture: Women in Print and Pixels Conference

Greetings from Oxford, England. Yes I'm back in the UK and a lot sooner than I thought. I have a conference to thank for that, but I'll get to that shortly. I love the uptick I feel when I travel. This morning my cousin Kamille and auntie Joan picked me up at Heathrow and I had a nice lunch with them. The last time I saw them was at Kam's wedding last August. Today's visit was short but sweet. That's my theme for this trip.

This trip also has a few firsts for me. I love new firsts because it means I'm experiencing new things and keeping it fresh. It's my first time in Oxford and to get here I flew Virgin Atlantic for the first time. I now truly get why people have such lovely things to say about the airline. The food actually tastes like food. You're offered a menu with three options to select from. They have excellent customer service and a sleek and modern design that makes you feel like your in a hipster lounge. They had me at hello.

I'm in town for my first academic conference post graduate school. I'm attending and presenting my thesis paper at Consuming/Culture: women and girls in print and pixels.

I believe in the power of a women's voice and recognize that in many parts of the world it's devalued. I see it in the United States.Women have struggled throughout history and continue to struggle. It's why I have an interest in gender bias and decided to explore it's impact in television and it's influence on women in American culture as part of my thesis. This academic conference is unique in that it is focused on women issues and only women issues. It's what drew me in. I'm proud to be a part of it and can't wait to learn and be a part of the many discussions over the next two days.

I'm also ready to be motivated by Angela McRobbie and Feona Atwood keynote speeches. They are feminist icons and advocates on women and gender related topics. I have an opportunity to learn, grow, and expand my network with other women that advocate for equality, justice and aren't afraid to call themselves feminists. Can't wait. Just a few hours away.

The jet lag is starting to settle in, but I still have so much positive energy and it's helping me to chug along. Whoot! Whoot!




Comments