Shout Out to Cheerios, but America has a Way to Go!

There is no denying that progress on racism and bigotry in our country has been made. We can see aspects of it in our culture everyday and for that I'm grateful, but the recent online public backlash to the Cheerio's commercial, which features a biracial daughter with a Caucasian mother and an African American father is a personal reminder that a small minority in our nation don't want to recognize or accept that the fabric of our nation has changed and is continuing to change.

This weekend, I was talking to my mom about this commercial and she was telling me how funny she thought it was. I was telling her that I thought the commercial was long over due. Our nation's president is biracial and there is a long list of biracial Americans that have contributed to our country. They exist and are in our neighborhoods and communities. Why don't we see more representation in our media? The Mad Men era still controls today's media.

Cheerios is to be commended for taking the stand, but they should not be the only company recognizing this cultural shift in the United States. There are a few other companies that have made the attempt, but the list doesn't get past my hands. 

The fact that Cheerios had to shut down their comments section doesn't surprise me but it does sadden me. It's a reminder that there are still people who choose ignorance over knowledge and hate over love. Unfortunately, we still have people that wear white sheets and now the Internet is their new hood. I consider the Cheerios commercial progress, but the struggle against racism and bigotry in our nation continues. The media coverage is both a reminder and a wake up call. 

 If you haven't seen the commercial yet, check it out below and share it!




Comments