Ready for the London Olympic Games

The Summer Olympics, also known as the Games of the Olympiad grace us with its presence every four years. It's finally back and set to kick off this Friday, July 27, 2012 with what I expect to be a fabulous opening ceremony. I'm not sure if it will top Beijing's 2008 games, but I'm ready to watch them try. I'm ready for the Games of the XXX Olympiad (the official title).

When I was a kid I used to think four years was forever, not these days. I always look forward to the summer games and my anticipation for the March of Nations continues to grow now that we are just two days away. When Karim and I break fast this Friday, we'll be watching opening ceremonies.

I'm not sure why I have such a fascination with the games, but part of me believes it's because we get to see the best athletes compete on a world stage representing their country. Go team USA!! Although U.S. athletes are my top priority, I am also inspired by the story profiles I see of athletes from other nations. So much personal sacrifice goes into being an Olympian. The work to get there is admirable and I consider all of the athletes winners even if they don't medal.

I'm glad to hear that Saudi Arabia will include women athletes for the first time. With this change, every national Olympic committee will have sent women to the Olympic games. It's progress. Maybe this will encourage the women of Saudi Arabia and of other nations to seek the rights they deserve in their home countries - it does for me.

I wonder if it's coincidence that the summer games always fall during an election cycle in the U.S. It's only July and I'm pretty fed up with the election media coverage. The summer games are a welcome reprieve. My favorites to watch are gymnastics, diving, beach volleyball, tennis, basketball, swimming, and track and field. However, I'll also check out some of the more obscure sports like hurling, polo, synchronized swimming, power lifting, and bowling. I plan to get social with updates and posts on Facebook and Twitter.

If you don't plan to watch, you should. Oscar award winning director Danny Boyle is the artistic director for the opening ceremony and is called "The Isles of Wonder" (had to squeeze in a film tidbit). Wikipedia also notes that Sir Paul McCartney will perform toward the end.

Records will be broken, while memories and history will be made. May the games bring out the best in all of us. Enjoy. I know I will.

Comments

Michelle said…
I have to agree, I love the Games. And yes, the personal stories from around the world help to connect us all. My best to all the athletes. May they find the strength to exceed their personal expectations, and see results that they thought could only live in their dreams.
Aaliyah said…
Michelle,

I totally agree with you. Thanks for posting a comment:)
Anonymous said…
Я извиняюсь, только, по-моему, Вы не правы. Я уверен. [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-svoimi-rukami/77-stroitelstvo-besedki-svoimi-rukami.html]ремонт 2 квартиры[/url]