Man in the Mirror: My Thoughts on Michael


Hello all,

I did not think I would be writing a blog entry about Michael Jackson (MJ), but with his public viewing on CNN all day, the many facebook (fb) postings, and the tweets, MJ is on my mind and has been for a few days. I know it probably may seem like a cliche at this point, but that is not my purpose.

I'm a fan of MJ, have been since childhood. I remember when I could do the Thriller and Beat It routine from beginning to end. I don't think I can move that quick these days. Although I'm a fan of his music, I did have some personal grievances with him, like his transition from being what I defined as a black man to the way he looked at the end. They way I feel about what Michael did to himself throughout the years doesn't matter, or does it?

He was a profound individual. Many words, both exemplary and not so have described the King of Pop. However, when I think of all the pressing issues in the world, I wonder if so much media attention should have been paid to him. Do I really need to be writing a blog on MJ? But then I have to admit that Michael is a global phenomenon. Like Princess Diana, he touched the lives of individual in a multitude of ways. Michael's music will be his legacy and future generations will be inspired my his musical genius.

Despite the greatness Michael encompassed, I feel it was also a curse. The very thing that made him a celebrity to the world, destroyed him in the end. Like many celebrities, MJ showed us that all the glitters isn't gold. I believe that is the true tragedy in his death. MJ's tribute today, reminded me of his goodness, his skill, his lost innocence, and the ability to touch so many people through his music. I'm a believer in the power of words and MJ was a great illustration of how one can use words to change the world. Unfortunately, it is not enough just to say powerful and meaningful phrases in a song. I believe it was Ghandi who said, "We have to be the change, we want to become." I wonder if Michael knew of that quote when he sang the song, Man in the Mirror.

Man in the Mirror is one of my favorite MJ songs. Below are my favorite verses in the song.

I've been a victim of A selfish kinda love It's time that I realize There are some with no home Not a nickel to loan Could it be really pretending that they're not alone A willow deeply scarred Somebody's broken heart And a washed out dream (Washed out dream) They follow the pattern of the wind ya' see 'Cause they got no place to be That's why I'm starting with me I'm starting with the man in the mirror I'm asking him to change his ways And no message could have been any clearer If you wanna make the world a better place Take a look at yourself and then make a change

MJ's life and death will mean many things to many people. Whatever his legacy is to be, I take comfort in the fact that he wanted to make people happy through music. He made mistakes along the way, but most of us have also make mistakes in life. So many of us dream and don't end up achieving the goals we set for ourselves. I think Michael achieved many of his dreams and goals, that is not easily done in this world. I pay tribute to that accomplishment. After the media on Michael fades, I will still be working on me and trying to change the girl, I mean woman in the mirror.

In loving memory of Michael Jackson, rest in peace.

Comments

Karim said…
very insightful. i think the media is wasting everyone's time talking about this so much. i feel like proper politics takes a back seat to whatever is popular just for the sake of ratings.
T.S. said…
Loved this Aaliyah!