Yes, Finally a Vacation, But No Rest for the Writer in Me


I'm finally taking a vacation. At times the day didn't seem like it would ever come, but it is almost here. In four days I will be on a flight to Aruba with my sister Dawn. I've been looking forward to the trip for a year now. Last year, Dawn and my mom went to Aruba. I was a tad bit jealous of them. I really wanted to go but couldn't because I was in the middle of course work for my MFA and in conference prep mode at work. While they were there, Dawn got lucky and one a free-trip for another week at the resort. Dawn took pity on my, since I couldn't join them the first time and invited me to tag a long this time. Thanks sis.

I can already feel the 85 plus degree sun on my chocolate skin. In my mind I'm walking on the beautiful beaches in sandals embracing the laid-back culture where the slogan is "No problem." And even though I know the locals have problems (heck we all do), I can appreciate their attitude that they don't let their problems get the best of them. I see that as one of the strengths in island cultures. Living in a deadline and success driven society is taxing.

Part of me is going to kick back and chill, but the writer in me is not on vacation. I don't think I want her to be either. I know many of you may be thinking all of me should be on vacation, and part of me agrees with those of you who may hold that opinion. However, I have good reasons for why I can't. One, writers should always be reading and writing. I know I get lax when I don't and right now I need and want my writing to be fresh. Two, I'm on deadline for my thesis, which is due in about five or six weeks (not sure at this point). I have finished one script which makes me feel good, but the script still needs to be tweaked to get it at the professional level I need it to be at. Plus, I still have my one-hour spec to write for Sons of Anarchy (SOA) and this is going to demand everything I've got creatively.

I plan to write first thing when I wake up. That will ensure I stay on track. I will set my alarm on my cell phone and free write my morning pages (journal entry) and then focus on my scripts for a couple of hours. I know my mind set is going to want to change once I get off the airplane, but if I plan to stay on track with my writing I can't afford to take the liberty.

I'm glad I got that off my chest. Thanks for tuning in. See you next week from Aruba.

Comments

Unknown said…
Enjoy your vacation. Take lots of pictures and write about the beautiful water and sunrise and sunsets.