Anton Opens....

Anton in Show Business had a stellar opening this past weekend at the OddFellows Playhouse in Middletown, Connecticut. Both nights was almost sold out, which is always a relief for actors, since we crave audience response. The New Haven Independent, http://www.newhavenindependent.org/ , an online New Haven-focused newspaper also published a favorable write-up, New Theatre Breaks Legs, http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2008/10/new_new_haven_t.php%20. I probably already sent it to you on Friday, but here it is again just in case.
While I was backstage I kept peeking through a crack in the curtain to check out the audience. I was lucky to have friends and family come both nights. I wanted to see where they were sitting so I didn't look directly in their direction when I was on stage. I had a bunch of nervous energy, I worried I would forget a line or maybe flub on the blocking. Earlier in the week I was still finding my bearings in the theatre space. Right up until the night before we opened we were still working on sound and light cues. But on opening night my monologue felt seamless and I really connected with the audience. When I heard the first set of chuckles I knew I was on solid ground. The cast and crew came together in a way that illustrates the magic of theatre.
Today, Anton in Show Business moves to the Little Theatre in New Haven, Connecticut. I have my first rehearsal in the new space tonight. I think it's going to be interesting to see how the cast and myself work in the new space. I believe the Little Theater won't be as intimate as the Playhouse, which will alter the stage dynamics.
I'm still trying to get over this sinus head cold I've had since the end of October. It has moved from head to my chest. I'm cough up a storm which is good, but at the same time very gross. I don't need to get into the details. What our bodies put up with amazes me. While I've been riding high on nervous energy I haven't given my body the proper rest and relaxation needed in order to beat this cold. It's hard to stop and rest when I think about all the other things I need to get done outside of the play. I'm still in pre-production for After the Headlines. Things are coming together slowly, but I'm so focused on not dropping the ball on my directorial debut. Like Lisabette in Anton in Show Business, I think it can be really, really good. I want it to be really, really good. The pressure to not disappoint is real and I struggle with it everyday. It is comforting to know people are cheering me on and helping me out. Knowing that keeps me motivated despite all the obstacles I face.
Well, the show must go on and so do I...thanks for reading.

Comments

iTheodore said…
Brava, my dear! So glad to hear the show's a hit and you are too!
xo
Karim said…
it was really good
Karim said…
also, aaliyah, i would say to allow anonymous posts