On My Mind

Hey Folks,

I apologize for the lag in time since my last posting. I've been pretty busy with course work for my MFA program, my nine to five, my volunteer work with New Haven's VITA/EITC, and life in general. Surprisingly I've been keeping pace with my courseload, but it is so easy for me to get off track.

An example would be this past Friday night, instead of moving forward with a scene in Finding Patience, getting engrossed with writing excerpts from classmates, or trudging through a book on public relations theory, I decide to watch HBO'S, The Wire. It's my favorite show on T.V. right now. I'm disappointed that it won't be back for another season. For those of you who haven't seen it, I highly recommend viewing the previous seasons. I don't think you'll be dissappointed. The writing is solid, the stories are gripping and the cast makes you feel like you're right in the thick of things.

Despite all the good I can say about the show, I have to constantly remind myself, that I have my own agenda and although The Wire is thoroughly entertaining, watching a few episodes in a row won't help me get my stories on the screen. Indirectly it does, because I pay attention to the dialogue, characters, and how the story develops, but when I'm not writing I'm not taking myself to the next level. Shame on me, for I can be my own worst enemy. T.V is like my crack and I'm so ready for another hit at any given moment. I'm working on it but it's tough. The good thing is I know my achille's heel, so I just have to be more diligent about succombing to it.

I definitely feel a lot more focused, but I have to continue to push myself. I need to keep my momentum. I have a great deal of work to accomplish this week and due to the long holiday weekend I have less time to do it. I feel a couple late nights coming on.

Stay tuned... I also have a post coming on my weekend at the Bischwind Bed and Breakfast and my drive through the Pennsylvania country side.

Comments